TechMGM hosts with ALFA and CGI an exciting opportunity for students to use their creativity and technical skills to develop a system using the latest Raspberry Pi. Each student team will have an opportunity to pitch their system to a panel of judges and the highest scoring team will win a classroom set of Raspberry Pis for their school! All River Region high schools are welcome to participate and each student team will be assigned a technical mentor to assist them in developing their system alongwith a Raspberry Pi and camera system. Only one team per school may register and you must register by Friday, November 15th at 12PM to receive your Raspberry Pi on Monday, November 18th. Each team will pitch their system on Sunday, December 15th at a blowout Raspberry Pi Pitch Party, which kicks off at 1230PM at the new state of the art MGMWERX facility located at 41 Commerce St. A panel of judges from across the tech community will evaluate each of the pitches.
Music, door prizes and refreshments will help us celebrate the great ideas pitched at the competition. Friends, families, teachers, students, the whole community is welcome to join in on the fun to see what our community creates
Each team must design a system to be used on their campus (ie. facial/ID recognition, public address system, parking access system, classroom attendance tracker). Each team will pitch (3 min) the system and also display the system for evaluation by the judges. (provide the presentation on a USB and also provide all materials necessary to demonstrate the system)
Click Here for details on the raspberry pi kit provided:
An exclusive Starter Kit from CanaKit that includes the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and everything you need to get up and running within minutes in the exciting world of Raspberry Pi!
The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is the 3rd generation Raspberry Pi and 10x faster than the 1st generation Raspberry Pi. It incorporates built-in WiFi & Bluetooth connectivity.
The CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit includes a premium Raspberry Pi case as well as a SanDisk 32 GB Class 10 MicroSD with NOOBS. Just Plug & Play! Raspberry Pi 3 (RPi3) Model B Quad-Core 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM
On-board WiFi and Bluetooth Connectivity
32 GB Micro SD Card (Class 10) – Raspberry Pi Recommended Micro SD Card pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter – Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 (UL Listed)
High Quality Raspberry Pi 3 Case, Premium Quality HDMI Cable, 2 x Heat Sinks, GPIO Quick Reference Card, CanaKit Full Color Quick-Start Guide
Raspberry Pi Mini Camera Video Module 5 Megapixels 1080p Sensor OV5647 Webcam for Raspberry Pi Model A/B/A+/B+, Pi 2B and Raspberry Pi 3B, Pi 3 B+, Raspberry Pi 4 B
Camera Specifications — The camera is capable of 2592 x 1944 pixel static images,and also supports 1080 p @ 30 fps, 720 p @ 60 fps and 640 x480 p 60/90 video recording, with 5MP OV5647 1080p webcam sensor.
Fixed Focus — The sensor has a native resolution of 5 megapixel with OV5647 sensor in a fixed-focus lens.
Compatible With — High-Definition video camera for Raspberry Pi Model A, B, B+, Raspberry Pi 2 B, Raspberry Pi 3,3 B+ ,Pi 4 B.
CSI Interface — This interface uses the dedicated CSI interface, via the CSI bus, a higher bandwidth link which carries pixel data from the camera back to the processor, high data rates, and it exclusively carries pixel data.
- River Region High School Students (Public, Private and Homeschool)
- Only one team per high school may register
- No limit on team members per team
- Not every team member must be present for the presentation or must participate in the presentation
Rules of Engagement
- Each team will be assigned a technical mentor from the local tech community
- Raspberry Pis may be picked up from MGMWERX on Monday afternoon, November 18th
- Each team must develop a system using the provided Raspberry Pi develop a system for their campus
- Presentation times will be provided on Friday, December 7th
- Each team must bring their completed presentation in MS Powerpoint on a USB to MGMWERX to dry run at 1PM on Sunday, December 15th. Each presentation must include the following;
- Team Name, School Name, Team Member Names
- State how the system would be implemented and where it could be used
- Explain a technical challenge your team encountered during development
- Explain how your team overcame the technical challenge(s)
- The presentation cannot exceed 3 mins in length (points will be deducted if your team goes over 3 mins)
- Judges will have 2 min to ask each team questions
- Each team must setup and demonstrate their system for judges to evaluate at MGMWERX on Sunday, December 15th (set up begins at 1230PM and judging begins at 2PM)
100 total points
- 20 points – How well did the team meet the items required in the presentations?
- 20 points – How well did the team clearly articulate their biggest technical challenge, and the resolution to the technical challenge?
- 20 points – How professional was the delivery of the pitch?
- 20 points -How innovative and creative was the system created? (prototype)
- 20 points – How complete was the system and how well did the system work? (prototype)
- 10 pts will be deducted for every 30 secs your team goes over 3 mins